We all want to save money and protect the environment, and the easiest way to do that is to conserve energy, starting at home. You’d be amazed at how simple changes can yield drastic results, whether it’s switching out your old lightbulbs for LEDs or investing in energy-efficient appliances. You can even ask an electrical contractor in Alexandria, VA to perform an energy audit on your home to discover any potential problems with your wiring. You’ll love the power savings, and the planet will thank you.
Here are some of the best ways to save energy all year long:
- Energy-efficient appliances: If your appliances are more than 10 years old, chances are they’re sucking up a lot more money than they should be. Today’s energy-efficient offerings harness advances in technology to reduce your power usage.
- Turn down your water heater: How much hot water do you need? Your water heater might be working overtime. If replacing your water heater with an energy-efficient model isn’t currently in the cards, be sure to turn down the thermostat and insulate the outside.
- Replace your lightbulbs: Incandescent bulbs might provide a warm glow, but they use a lot more power than necessary. Today’s LED bulbs emulate the look of their incandescent predecessors, but can make for significant savings.
- Switch out your power strips: The “phantom load,” or the way electronics use power even when they’re not in use, can cost you hundreds of dollars per year. New “smart strips” are able to detect when your electronics are in use, and shut them down when they’re not.
- Seal and protect your home: From insulation to energy-efficient windows, making sure your home is weatherproof can keep warm air from escaping (or infiltrating) your home. This helps save money by reducing the amount of time and energy your HVAC system needs to cool or heat your house.
- Install a smart thermostat: Speaking of your HVAC system, smart or programmable thermostats will automatically reduce your energy usage by turning your heat or air conditioning down when you’re asleep or not at home.
- Adjust your energy habits: Finally, don’t underestimate the power of changing your daily habits. Turn off lights when you’re not in the room and unplug electronics when they’re not in use. Adjust your thermostat so it’s a few degrees warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter. Finally, you can hang your clothes out to dry instead of using a dryer, or hand wash your dishes. Every little bit counts!
Electrical contractor in Alexandria, VA
Walsh Electric has been the greater D.C. area’s top electrical contractor for over three decades. Our skilled technicians are on hand 24 hours a day to provide electrical repairs, upgrades, maintenance and installation for commercial buildings and residences. If your power bills have been out of control lately, call us. We’ll be happy to inspect your home, find the source of the problem and help you make a plan to fix it. Get in touch with us today to schedule a consultation.