Four Key Electrical Tips for Your Commercial Property
Electrical safety is essential in commercial facilities, but a lot of business owners don’t take all the precautions necessary to ensure the best safety outcomes in the workplace. The good news is that it doesn’t take a lot of time, money or effort to implement some common-sense electrical safety precautions in a commercial facility. Keep reading for some key tips and advice from our commercial electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA to improve electrical safety in your workplace.
Lots of employers don’t think about electrical safety, and forget to take some basic precautions. Unfortunately, ignoring electrical safety can result in numerous issues and cause hazardous conditions in a commercial facility. While it’s impossible to avoid electrical hazards completely, taking a few simple steps is all it takes to improve workplace safety and avoid complications from electrical equipment and wiring:
- Improve education for employees: Education is the key to safe practices in the workplace. Taking the time to train your employees on best practices and safe interactions with electrical equipment can go a long way toward keeping your workplace safer for everyone. Make sure that your employees are trained to safely use any electrical equipment in the workplace. Even though some electrical equipment use might seem pretty straightforward, it’s still a good idea to review safety precautions and use recommendations with your employees. It’s also important to have a plan in place in the event of an electrical emergency. Establish protocol for some common scenarios and keep employees up to date so everyone knows what to do in case an emergency arises.
- Reinforce electrical power: Sudden power shutoffs or surges can damage some electrical equipment and cause businesses to lose very valuable data and equipment. To prevent this, make sure to keep your computers guarded with surge protectors and have designated generators to keep systems running if the power is suddenly shut off. Investing in surge protectors and generators can save you a lot of time, energy and money on recovering valuable data in the event of a surge or power outage.
- Stop using damaged outlets: Outlets that are worn or damaged are far more likely to cause electrical issues. Damaged outlets increase the risk of electrical fires in the workplace, so it’s important to avoid using these outlets altogether.
- Get repairs and inspections from professionals: Routine inspections from commercial electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA are very important when it comes to keeping your workplace safe. If you notice something wrong with your electrical system or you want to improve capacity or invest in an upgrade, professional electrical contractors can help.
Commercial electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA
If you’re looking for services from commercial electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA, reach out to Walsh Electric. We have decades of experience providing comprehensive electrical services to homeowners and business owners alike. No matter what your specific needs may be, our team is here to provide you with the services you’re looking for. Give us a call to find out more about what we have to offer and request a quote today.
During the spring and summer, it’s normal for electrical bills to spike with increased power usage. While there are some kinds of power consumption that are impossible to avoid during the spring and summer, there are lots of practices that can reduce energy usage and keep your utility bills in check. Keep reading for some advice from an electrician in Alexandria, VA to save on electricity this spring.
Saving on your monthly utility bills doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, all it takes is a few simple steps to minimize your energy waste and improve your home’s overall efficiency. Follow this advice from an electrician in Alexandria, VA to keep your electric bill in check:
- Keep your AC system tuned up: Heating and cooling account for the majority of household energy consumption. When AC systems are kept tuned up, they run far more efficiently than systems that aren’t regularly maintained. During an AC tune-up, a technician will replace filters, clean ductwork and repair damage to maximize the performance and efficiency of your system. Following a routine maintenance schedule is one of the best ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home and minimize energy waste. In addition, regular AC maintenance extends the lifespan of your system and allows you to save money on premature repairs and system replacement.
- Install a smart thermostat: Smart thermostats give homeowners more control over energy use by automatically adjusting heating and cooling. Homeowners can control heating and cooling remotely through a mobile app and make adjustments throughout the day as the weather changes. Smart thermostats are especially handy during the workday or while you’re on vacation, since they make it easy to adjust temperature settings remotely. An electrician in Alexandria, VA can install a smart thermostat and help you get started with this new device to maximize all of its benefits.
- Use power strips: Power strips are great for plugging in appliances, chargers and devices that don’t require constant power. Once you’re done using your device or charger, simply shut off the power strip to keep energy waste to a minimum and avoid passive power consumption from your electronics.
- Upgrade light fixtures: Installing energy-efficient bulbs for your home’s light fixtures is a great way to curb energy waste. These lightbulbs use less energy than traditional bulbs, and they also tend to last longer and require less frequent replacement. Investing in dimmer switches is another great way to reduce waste by keeping your lightbulbs on a dimmer setting. This gives you more control over your lighting while minimizing the power consumption of your light fixtures.
Electrician in Alexandria, VA
For more advice from an electrician in Alexandria, VA or to request electrical services, reach out to Walsh Electric. We are a trusted provider of commercial and residential electrical services with decades of experience offering comprehensive electrical services to our clients. We are NFPA and NETA certified to provide professional services to our customers. To find out more about everything we have to offer and to get a service estimate, give our team a call today.
Now that spring is finally here, it’s a great time to tackle some projects in and around the house. Springtime electrical lighting installation in Alexandria, VA is a great way to improve your home’s functionality, curb appeal and atmosphere without requiring a huge renovation project. If you’re thinking about investing in a spring electrical installation project, keep reading for some design ideas and inspiration.
Ideas for spring electrical projects
Here are a few ideas for spring electrical projects, including electrical lighting installation in Alexandria, VA:
- Water feature lighting: If you have a fountain, pool, pond or hot tub, accent lighting is a great way to highlight your water feature. New LED lights are durable, long-lasting and can be programmed with a rotating array of colors to create a beautiful display on your property. Accent lighting can be installed in your water feature, on your pool deck or patio or alongside your water feature to cast unique shadows.
- Landscape lighting:Incorporating lighting into your landscaping boosts the curb appeal of your property and allows you to show off your plants, trees and other landscape features even when it’s dark outside. A combination of atmospheric lanterns, directed accent lights and pathway lighting is ideal for achieving the perfect balance of aesthetic appeal and functional benefits at night.
- Fans: Once the weather starts heating up, you’ll be thankful for any air circulation. Installing fans in bedrooms, living rooms, dining rooms and kitchens is a great spring project that offers many months of benefits. Not only do fans make homes more comfortable on hot spring and summer days, but they also boost home value.
- Dimmer switches:In addition to new electrical lighting installation in Alexandria, VA, upgrading existing lighting features offers a lot of benefits. Installing dimmer switches to control light fixtures in your home is a simple project that can make a big difference. Not only do dimmer switches give you more control over the lighting and atmosphere in a room, but they also improve energy efficiency by allowing you to adjust to lower lighting levels.
- Surge protectors: While surge protectors may not offer the same aesthetic benefits of some other spring electrical projects, they do offer significant functional advantages—especially if you have a lot of electrical appliances and devices in your home. Surge protectors block damage to electrical devices and appliances in the event of storms or other circumstances that create electrical surges. Without surge protection, your electrical devices are at risk of permanent damage.
Electrical lighting installation in Alexandria, VA
Tackle all the electrical lighting installation in Alexandria, VA that you have planned for this spring with help from Walsh Electric. For decades, our customers have trusted us to provide expert electrical services for homes and businesses alike. Whether you want to add some outdoor lighting to your property, or you need help with rewiring for your home, our team is here to assist you. Give us a call to find out more about the services we provide and to request a consultation and quote for your project.
If you’re a homeowner, you probably take your electrical systems for granted until they start to develop problems, or stop working altogether. There are some electrical issues that aren’t serious and are easily resolved, but others that can be symptoms of other, more severe underlying issues.
Here’s a quick overview of some of the most common electrical problems you should watch for. If you notice any of these, contact an emergency electrician in Alexandria, VA right away:
- Power surges: Frequent electrical surges can be a result of a variety of problems, including a recent lightning strike, damage to power lines in your area, defective appliances in your home or bad/outdated electrical wiring in the house. Power surges generally only last a fraction of a second, but if you experience them frequently, you’ll start to notice appliances being significantly damaged. You should contact an electrician to analyze your system as soon as you start to experience power surges.
- Overloaded circuits: Tripped circuit breakers can be a result of overloaded circuits. It’s easier than you might expect to overload a circuit, especially when you consider the sheer number of devices that are plugged into today’s home electrical systems. You should figure out where the overloaded circuit is occurring and which appliances could be at fault, as some draw more power than others. Figure out a way to distribute power more evenly in your home, and unplug anything that’s not getting used (like chargers for phones or other devices).
- Shocks: Electrical shocks are usually just a nuisance, but they can become dangerous in some circumstances. Shocks can be a result of issues with the wiring in an appliance or an outlet. You should be careful when turning objects on or off, and if you regularly experience shock at an outlet or switch, contact an electrician to come and check out the problem.
- Bulbs burning out quickly: If you notice light bulbs burning out too quickly, there are a couple possible causes. It might be that you have poor circuit wiring to the fixture. It could also be that you have a dimmer switch, wiring or bulb with too high a wattage. In some circumstances, it could even be a problem with insulation being too close to the bulb. Some of these problems are easier to fix than others, so it’s important to be able to diagnose what’s causing the issue so you don’t keep burning through bulbs on a regular basis.
- High electrical bills: Do your monthly utility bills seem to be getting more expensive than they’ve typically been? If so, make sure you identify and fix any devices that might be causing power surges in your home, that you unplug appliances when they aren’t being used and that you update your electrical wiring as needed to make your home run more efficiently. Any steps you can take to increase energy efficiency will be beneficial both for your bank account and for the environment.
If you’d like more information about common electrical problems, an emergency electrician in Alexandria, VA can provide tips on how to proceed. Reach out to Walsh Electric for the help you need.
The electrical panel is one of the most important appliances and components of your home. It is the central nervous system for all of your wiring and electrical features, and provides power to the entire home. At a certain point, though, the panel will become outdated, at which time you’ll need to consider whether it’s time for you to make an upgrade.
Here are just a few of the reasons why people tend to hire residential electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA to upgrade their electrical panels:
- Old homes: Old homes tend to mean old wiring and fixtures. While retro décor and aesthetics can be popular, you should not stick to retro wiring. Some older homes might have obsolete wiring and electrical panels. If, for example, you still have a 60-amp panel, it is important to upgrade to 200 amps so you can use modern electrical equipment safely.
- New appliances: Outdated electrical panels can have a hard time standing up to the energy loads needed to power all of the new appliances you have in your home. If you install a new air conditioner, refrigerator, washer and dryer, water heater or other type of new appliance and find you start having power issues, this is probably a sign that it’s time for you to upgrade your electrical panel.
- You’re still using a fuse box: Fuse boxes have long been outdated, as circuit breakers are much more reliable and efficient, and will not trip off due to overloads. Replacing your electrical panel makes sense if you have a fuse box you need to replace with a breaker panel.
- Your homeowners insurance is expensive: It costs more money to insure a home that has outdated electrical features, like old wiring and old electrical panels. Replacing a fuse box with a breaker panel or an outdated electrical panel with a new one will allow you to get some discounts on your homeowners insurance premium, which can add up over time to some good savings.
- Greater efficiency: Newer electrical panels operate much more efficiently than older ones. This means you’ll be able to use less energy to power your home, which is both better for the environment and better for your bank account.
- Increased home value: Buyers are less likely to want to purchase a home if they know they’re going to have to make some major upgrades to its electrical systems. Therefore, an upgrade to your electrical panel can help you increase the value of your home and make it more attractive to potential buyers if you know you’re going to be putting it on the market anytime soon.
- Greater safety: Working with updated electrical panels ensures greater safety in the form of a lower fire risk and a lower risk of power surges.
If you believe the time has come for you to replace your home’s electrical panel, make sure you reach out to the team of highly skilled and capable residential electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA at Walsh Electric with any questions you have.