The electrical panel is one of the most important appliances and components of your home. It is the central nervous system for all of your wiring and electrical features, and provides power to the entire home. At a certain point, though, the panel will become outdated, at which time you’ll need to consider whether it’s time for you to make an upgrade.
Here are just a few of the reasons why people tend to hire residential electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA to upgrade their electrical panels:
- Old homes: Old homes tend to mean old wiring and fixtures. While retro décor and aesthetics can be popular, you should not stick to retro wiring. Some older homes might have obsolete wiring and electrical panels. If, for example, you still have a 60-amp panel, it is important to upgrade to 200 amps so you can use modern electrical equipment safely.
- New appliances: Outdated electrical panels can have a hard time standing up to the energy loads needed to power all of the new appliances you have in your home. If you install a new air conditioner, refrigerator, washer and dryer, water heater or other type of new appliance and find you start having power issues, this is probably a sign that it’s time for you to upgrade your electrical panel.
- You’re still using a fuse box: Fuse boxes have long been outdated, as circuit breakers are much more reliable and efficient, and will not trip off due to overloads. Replacing your electrical panel makes sense if you have a fuse box you need to replace with a breaker panel.
- Your homeowners insurance is expensive: It costs more money to insure a home that has outdated electrical features, like old wiring and old electrical panels. Replacing a fuse box with a breaker panel or an outdated electrical panel with a new one will allow you to get some discounts on your homeowners insurance premium, which can add up over time to some good savings.
- Greater efficiency: Newer electrical panels operate much more efficiently than older ones. This means you’ll be able to use less energy to power your home, which is both better for the environment and better for your bank account.
- Increased home value: Buyers are less likely to want to purchase a home if they know they’re going to have to make some major upgrades to its electrical systems. Therefore, an upgrade to your electrical panel can help you increase the value of your home and make it more attractive to potential buyers if you know you’re going to be putting it on the market anytime soon.
- Greater safety: Working with updated electrical panels ensures greater safety in the form of a lower fire risk and a lower risk of power surges.
If you believe the time has come for you to replace your home’s electrical panel, make sure you reach out to the team of highly skilled and capable residential electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA at Walsh Electric with any questions you have.