When you’re having electrical issues, you may be tempted to work on the problem yourself. Maybe you’re handy in other areas around the house and you think you can figure out the issue and fix it? In the case of electrical, it might be smart to skip the DIY. Not only can you damage the equipment, you could severely injure yourself!
It’s almost always best to call a professional electrician in Alexandria, VA to handle any electrical work in your home or property. Keep reading to find out more about common electrical issues and why each one is best left to a professional.
- Outlet malfunctions: Your outlet may be buzzing or burnt, or maybe it’s too loose to hold a plug. This may be due to the age of the wiring system, and faulty wiring systems can be extremely dangerous to handle if you don’t know what you’re doing. A professional electrician in Alexandria, VA can also help install more outlets, as well as turn 2-pronged outlets into 3-pronged grounded outlets, and fix tripping breakers.
- Dimming/flickering lights: Lights that dim or flicker are a bigger issue than the nuisance they cause for your eyes. Dimming or flickering lights can be a sign that the connection is loose or there’s a short in the circuit. You’ll need a professional to detect the source of the problem and prevent possible damage or even fires.
- Outdated wiring: Outdated or improperly installed wiring can be extremely dangerous. Older homes may have outdated knob-and-tube wiring or unsafely installed aluminum wiring. If you haven’t had a home inspection on your wiring in the past few decades, it’s time to contact a professional electrician in Alexandria, VA to check on your electrical system.
- Breaker trips: Repeated breaker trips may be able to be solved by redistributing or reducing the circuit load, but if that doesn’t solve the issue, your short circuit may be a result of exposed or touching wires, broken wires, a ground fault or a loose connection. Any of the above can be very dangerous, and definitely requires an electrician to handle.
- Humming breakers: Humming or buzzing breakers also indicate a faulty breaker. It is possible that it is overloaded and cannot trip. You’ll want to flip it off manually to prevent further damage or fire, then contact an electrician to work on your breaker.
- Water issues: Any problems you’re having in moist or wet areas are extremely dangerous to tackle on your own. This includes areas near plumbing. A professional electrician in Alexandria, VA will know how to handle your particular situation.
- Insufficient power supply: Older homes may not have the wiring system to support today’s appliances. Many houses even a few decades all run on 60-amp services, which is not sufficient for most modern lifestyles. A professional can get you upgraded safely.
Walsh Electric has provided electrical services to our residential and commercial customers in Northern Virginia, DC and Maryland for over 30 years. We deliver exceptional customer service, including emergency service and a fast response to service calls. Our experienced team of master electricians and technicians are trained and ready for any project. Give us a call today!