Any business owner, large or small, has a whole host of things that are always heavy on their mind. As a small business ourselves, we understand these concerns. Client happiness, employee satisfaction, payroll, expenses and beyond—all can be burdens that business owners know they signed up for. Something else you should also be keeping in mind is the health of your facilities, including plumbing, HVAC and electricity. Your electrical systems are particularly crucial, especially in an increasingly digital world, so hiring the right commercial electrical contractor in Alexandria, VA should be a top priority for the reasons outlined below.
What is a commercial electrician?
A commercial electrician is one that specializes in the electrical system needs for businesses. While it might seem that there would be little difference between residential and commercial electrical systems, this could not be further from the truth. Property managers and business owners alike understand that an electrical contractor in Alexandria, VA needs to know the ins and outs of commercial systems, since they can be considerably different than the electrical systems you’ve grown accustomed to at your own home. The training and qualifications for commercial electricians can be quite a bit different than for residential contractors, as well, so make sure you’re working with someone who specializes in this field.
What are the benefits of a commercial electrician?
Since commercial electrical systems are so complex and intricate, you’ll want to find a commercial electrical contractor in Alexandria, VA who really knows what they’re doing. They are not only masters of the complex workings of your system, but they are also a wealth of knowledge and advice. They can look at the usage of your system via its appliances and endpoints and offer useful insight on how much power you’re consuming and how you can make your systems more efficient and effective. This not only leads to a more streamlined operation—it can also have benefits for your bottom line if you can considerably reduce your electrical bill after a commercial electrician has taken a look.
What special knowledge do commercial electricians have?
Commercial electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA know how to work with commercial lighting, for starters, which is quite different than the lighting in a residence. The codes for commercial and residential buildings also differ significantly, and you can rest assured knowing that our technicians at Walsh Electric are up to date on all commercial electrical coding and continue to receive training that keeps us abreast of any changes that could impact your business and its safety. We are also well versed in finding any trouble spots and potential hazards that could cost you money down the road.
Hiring an electrician for any job is a key decision you have to make, and this is all the more apparent when you also have a business to run. A qualified commercial electrician has the skills and experience to ensure your business is safely and efficiently wired, allowing your employees to stay happy and productive for years to come. Reach out to Walsh Electric to learn more about what we can do for you.
A home generator offers a backup power source in case of an outage. If you do not have outages frequently, it is easy to forget about it until you need it, only to then discover it does not work. You can avoid needing an electrical contractor in Alexandria, VA by maintaining your generator and helping it stay reliable for those times when you need it. Here are five maintenance tips for home generators:
- Check oil level: Even when the generator is not being used, it can still leak oil. Schedule one day a month to check the oil level. There is usually a dipstick or window to allow you to see whether there is enough. If the oil is low, top it off. Check the user’s manual to ensure you use the right type, and use a funnel to make the process as mess-free as possible.
- Keep supplies: The generator can be essential equipment for longer-term power shortages. This is especially true if you have a business with sensitive equipment or high-need clients. If you work from home and need your computer running, the generator also protects that and helps you stay productive. To get the maximum benefit from a generator, you need to be prepared for contingencies. Keep a supply cabinet with extra oil, filters and air filters in case you face a longer-term power outage. If you use a part, replace it as soon as possible. The point is to keep this supply cabinet full during the best of times so you are not scrambling during an emergency.
- Maintain your landscaping: Home generators are normally kept outside. This leaves them vulnerable to the elements and natural debris. Keep the area around the generator clean and remove leaves and branches. If you can, keep it covered during inclement weather or build a protective box around it. Just be sure the box has enough doors so you and any service personnel can continue to maintain the generator.
- Use the self-test: New generators have a “self-test” feature. If that is the case for yours, run that self-test once a month, and if anything goes awry, call an electrician. Generators without a self-test need a different approach. If your generator does not have this feature, run it once a month for 15 minutes. This will clean fuel lines and lubricate the parts. To make it easy, do this test on the same day you set aside for checking the oil level.
- Schedule tune-ups: The purpose of a generator is to avoid emergencies and keep everything running even when the power grid acts up. That is why it is important to ensure the generator works before it is literally put to the test. Besides these maintenance tasks, also plan to have an electrician tune up your generator once a year. This keeps it working and you will know it is there for you when you need it!
Walsh Electric is an electrical contractor serving homes and businesses in Alexandria, VA. If it is time to give your home generator a tune-up, call us today to schedule an appointment.
Summer Electrical Safety Tips
Now that spring is in full swing and summer is right around the corner, it’s a great time to think about summer electrical safety. While electrical safety is crucial throughout the year, there are some factors that are especially important to keep in mind during the summer to keep you safe. Keep reading for some tips from residential electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA to keep you and your family safe this summer and keep your electrical systems and equipment running the way they’re supposed to.
Summer can be a very fun and exciting season, but a safety hazard or electrical malfunction can quickly derail the fun and give way to an emergency. Thankfully, it’s easy to avoid electrical hazards and complications by taking the right precautions. Here are some of the best tips for summer electrical safety for you and your family to follow this year:
- Be careful with airborne toys: Summer days are perfect for flying kites, remote controlled aircraft and drones, but make sure to keep an eye on these toys around power lines and electrical infrastructure. Fly airborne toys a safe distance away from power lines, transformers and utility poles to avoid a collision that could destroy your property and cause an electrical outage or safety hazard.
- Stay safe in the pool or hot tub: Few things are quite as relaxing as a dip in the swimming pool or hot tub in the summer, but all that water can also pose some risks. Keep any electronic devices away from pools and hot tubs, and avoid using cell phones, tablets or laptops too close to the water. It’s also important to make sure that any electrical components or devices that are connected to your pool or hot tub are fully grounded. A professional electrician can help ensure that your connections are safe and repair damaged wiring to minimize electrical hazards.
- Watch for downed lines: Summer conditions increase the risk of power outages and downed power lines, so make sure to stay vigilant. Look out for downed power lines and call your utility provider right away if you notice something is wrong. Wait a safe distance away from the downed line until an electrician arrives to fix the problem.
- Prepare for outages: Because of the increased risk of power outages during the summer, it’s important to make sure your family is appropriately prepared. Set aside some emergency supplies to get through a power outage, including candles, flashlights and some games, books or cards to keep your family occupied while you wait for the power to come back on. If power outages are a frequent occurrence in your area, you might consider investing in a generator to provide backup power when the utility lines are down. Residential electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA can recommend a generator and install it for you.
Residential electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA
For more tips from residential electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA to help you prepare for summer, reach out to Walsh Electric. We offer comprehensive residential services to improve electrical safety, efficiency and performance for homeowners. Find out more about everything we have to offer by giving us a call today!
Four Key Electrical Tips for Your Commercial Property
Electrical safety is essential in commercial facilities, but a lot of business owners don’t take all the precautions necessary to ensure the best safety outcomes in the workplace. The good news is that it doesn’t take a lot of time, money or effort to implement some common-sense electrical safety precautions in a commercial facility. Keep reading for some key tips and advice from our commercial electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA to improve electrical safety in your workplace.
Lots of employers don’t think about electrical safety, and forget to take some basic precautions. Unfortunately, ignoring electrical safety can result in numerous issues and cause hazardous conditions in a commercial facility. While it’s impossible to avoid electrical hazards completely, taking a few simple steps is all it takes to improve workplace safety and avoid complications from electrical equipment and wiring:
- Improve education for employees: Education is the key to safe practices in the workplace. Taking the time to train your employees on best practices and safe interactions with electrical equipment can go a long way toward keeping your workplace safer for everyone. Make sure that your employees are trained to safely use any electrical equipment in the workplace. Even though some electrical equipment use might seem pretty straightforward, it’s still a good idea to review safety precautions and use recommendations with your employees. It’s also important to have a plan in place in the event of an electrical emergency. Establish protocol for some common scenarios and keep employees up to date so everyone knows what to do in case an emergency arises.
- Reinforce electrical power: Sudden power shutoffs or surges can damage some electrical equipment and cause businesses to lose very valuable data and equipment. To prevent this, make sure to keep your computers guarded with surge protectors and have designated generators to keep systems running if the power is suddenly shut off. Investing in surge protectors and generators can save you a lot of time, energy and money on recovering valuable data in the event of a surge or power outage.
- Stop using damaged outlets: Outlets that are worn or damaged are far more likely to cause electrical issues. Damaged outlets increase the risk of electrical fires in the workplace, so it’s important to avoid using these outlets altogether.
- Get repairs and inspections from professionals: Routine inspections from commercial electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA are very important when it comes to keeping your workplace safe. If you notice something wrong with your electrical system or you want to improve capacity or invest in an upgrade, professional electrical contractors can help.
Commercial electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA
If you’re looking for services from commercial electrical contractors in Alexandria, VA, reach out to Walsh Electric. We have decades of experience providing comprehensive electrical services to homeowners and business owners alike. No matter what your specific needs may be, our team is here to provide you with the services you’re looking for. Give us a call to find out more about what we have to offer and request a quote today.
During the spring and summer, it’s normal for electrical bills to spike with increased power usage. While there are some kinds of power consumption that are impossible to avoid during the spring and summer, there are lots of practices that can reduce energy usage and keep your utility bills in check. Keep reading for some advice from an electrician in Alexandria, VA to save on electricity this spring.
Saving on your monthly utility bills doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, all it takes is a few simple steps to minimize your energy waste and improve your home’s overall efficiency. Follow this advice from an electrician in Alexandria, VA to keep your electric bill in check:
- Keep your AC system tuned up: Heating and cooling account for the majority of household energy consumption. When AC systems are kept tuned up, they run far more efficiently than systems that aren’t regularly maintained. During an AC tune-up, a technician will replace filters, clean ductwork and repair damage to maximize the performance and efficiency of your system. Following a routine maintenance schedule is one of the best ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home and minimize energy waste. In addition, regular AC maintenance extends the lifespan of your system and allows you to save money on premature repairs and system replacement.
- Install a smart thermostat: Smart thermostats give homeowners more control over energy use by automatically adjusting heating and cooling. Homeowners can control heating and cooling remotely through a mobile app and make adjustments throughout the day as the weather changes. Smart thermostats are especially handy during the workday or while you’re on vacation, since they make it easy to adjust temperature settings remotely. An electrician in Alexandria, VA can install a smart thermostat and help you get started with this new device to maximize all of its benefits.
- Use power strips: Power strips are great for plugging in appliances, chargers and devices that don’t require constant power. Once you’re done using your device or charger, simply shut off the power strip to keep energy waste to a minimum and avoid passive power consumption from your electronics.
- Upgrade light fixtures: Installing energy-efficient bulbs for your home’s light fixtures is a great way to curb energy waste. These lightbulbs use less energy than traditional bulbs, and they also tend to last longer and require less frequent replacement. Investing in dimmer switches is another great way to reduce waste by keeping your lightbulbs on a dimmer setting. This gives you more control over your lighting while minimizing the power consumption of your light fixtures.
Electrician in Alexandria, VA
For more advice from an electrician in Alexandria, VA or to request electrical services, reach out to Walsh Electric. We are a trusted provider of commercial and residential electrical services with decades of experience offering comprehensive electrical services to our clients. We are NFPA and NETA certified to provide professional services to our customers. To find out more about everything we have to offer and to get a service estimate, give our team a call today.